Just imagine how much money you could save if you could dye and highlight your hair yourself instead of going to the salon . While the salon is the safest way to dye your hair, there is nothing wrong with learning how to dye your hair with peroxide yourself.
A cheap bottle of hydrogen peroxide can be used to highlight or lighten your hair, if you do it carefully to avoid damaging your hair. Just make sure to read these tips before you go dumping a bottle of peroxide on your head, and avoid orange hair.
Is Peroxide Safe For Hair?
3% hydrogen peroxide is safe, provided it is used in small amounts and not kept in prolonged contact with the skin. In fact, permanent and semi-permanent dyes and DIY box dyes contain peroxide and ammonia. The important bit is to know how much to use and how long to leave it on.
10 volume developer usually has 3% peroxide, whereas 20 volume developer has 6%. You can use either but the 20 volume developer will be much harsher on your hair. Peroxide won’t chemically burn your hair as bleach does, but it will dry it a lot.
Peroxide lightens hair and it will damage your hair. There is no way you can have bleached blonde hair that is as healthy as virgin hair, even if you use Olaplex and are really careful. But it’s the kind of damage that can be fixed using the right products.
- Volume 10 Stabilized Cream Peroxide Developer
- Use As A Substitute For Liquid Peroxide with Gel Consistency
- Best Beauty product
- 1 Piece - 4 Ounce (118ml)
- Gives Hair A Beautiful, Sensual Feel,
- No Alcohol, Peroxide Or Ammonia,
- Semi-Permanent Hair Color
- Cream Peroxide Developer will not run or drip. Highlighting/dimensional haircoloring is done faster, easier and more precisely. It can also be substituted for liquid peroxide with gel consistency.
- Marianna Beauty Accessories
- These items are great for personal use but may not be great as gifts
- This product is easy to use
- This is high quality product, made of high quality material
- Stabilized peroxide cream volume no.10
What Color Can You Dye Your Hair With Hydrogen Peroxide?
Hair reacts differently to peroxide depending on its condition, so it is very important to do a strand test before attempting all over color.
Commercially available, safe to use on hair peroxide will usually lift your hair one or two levels. This means:
- Dark brown hair: It will usually turn a warm chestnut brown, but if you leave it too long it may end up orange. If that happened, here is how you get rid of orange hair after bleaching.
- Medium brown hair: The most likely result is a golden brown hair.
- Light brown hair: Expect a dirty blonde.
- Red hair: It will first turn orange, and possibly strawberry blonde afterwards. If you really want to go blonde a stronger bleach may be necessary to remove all the red.
- Dark blonde: Likely to turn light blonde.
- Light blonde: Likely to turn white blonde, but you may need to tone away the yellow.
If your hair is permed, damaged or color-treated, dying your hair at home with peroxide may result in patchy color. This is because the virgin sections of your hair will react differently to the peroxide. Consider going to a professional, or at the very least perform a strand test that covers the top and lenghts of your hair.
How To Dye Your Hair With Peroxide
Preparation is key if you want to dye your hair with hydrogen peroxide and avoid a hair dye disaster (or damaged bathroom).
You should protect your surroundings and wear an old t-shirt that you don’t mind getting stained. Vinyl or latex gloves to protect your hands are also necessary.
- Superb tensile strength - Approved for medical application.
- Powder free - no messy residue.
- Ambidextrous for efficient glove changes.
- 100 gloves per box; 10 boxes per case.
- Sizes range from small to extra large - The glove is 9.5 inches long measured from the tip of the finger to the cuff of the glove.
- Vinyl gloves are optimal for tasks that have a short duration and require frequent glove changes
- Superb tensile strength - Non-medical use. Beaded cuff and ambidextrous (can fit right or left hand)
- Sizes range from small to extra large - The glove is 9.5 inches long measured from the tip of the finger to the cuff of the glove
- Made from clear vinyl PVC - 4 Mil thickness
- Provides high levels of dexterity and sensitivity. Non-medical use only
If you are going for highlights you want a small brush to be able to apply the color with precision. Aluminum foils to keep the peroxide from dying the rest of your hair are key to a salon finish.
If you are using peroxide to dye your entire head, you should get a plastic shower cap and a clean spray bottle. The key to learning how to dye your hair with peroxide is even application and timing.
Get a watch as well that you can look at and use with gloved hands. You probably want to keep your mobile phone away from peroxide and wet hands. An egg-clock is perfect for this.
Figuring Out Dye Times
First of all, wash your hair with a clarifying shampoo, you want no residue from styling products that could interfere.
While your hair is damp, section it on 4 parts, using claw clips to keep the hair you are not working on out of the way.
Choose a small section of your hair that is not usually visible, underneath the top layer of your hair. Apply peroxide for 15 minutes, rinse it off with cold water and see if you like the color. If you want your hair to be lighter, choose another strand (also not on the top layer of hair) and test for 30 minutes.
Once you have figured out how your hair reacts, it is time to dye your hair using peroxide.
Using 10 Volume Developer To Lighten Hair
This is a process where slow and careful application is key. If you are too slow, you will get patches that are lighter and patches that are darker. It always helps to get a friend to help you with the back of your head, as that’s where hair tends to be more stubborn.
Mix half a cup of peroxide, half a cup of conditioner and add baking soda until it becomes a runny paste. Wear gloves or your skin will get irritated and dry.
Apply the mixture to your head, starting from the back and moving towards the front. Make sure it doesn’t touch your skin, as it is very harsh. Some people use coconut oil to protect the skin around their hair, but vaseline will do as well.
Leave it for 15-30 minutes based on your strand test. Afterwards wash your hair with cold water really, really carefully. It is a very harsh product that can hurt your eyes or irritate your skin, so be really careful when rinsing, slow and steady is better than splashing.
Deep condition your hair afterwards. Do not forget this step as your hair will feel really dry and straw-like.
- Professional Salon Treatment That Instantly Transforms The Texture of Your Hair Leaving it Soft, Silky, and Easier to Manage
- Repairs, Restores, and Strengthens Weak, Damaged, and Overprocessed Hair To Restore a Healthy Look While Promoting Natural Hair Growth
- Deeply Conditions, Detangles, Hydrates, and Revives Dull and Dry Hair Improving its Manageability and Elasticity and giving it a Beautiful Shine
- Nourishes Hair with the Highest Quality Cosmetic Grade Argan Oil Rich in Essential Vitamins and Nutrients. Highly Effective All Hair Types including Permed, Natural, and Curly Hair
- A Member of the Arvazallia Advanced Hair Repair System and Specially Formulated to Enhance the Texture, Softness, Manageability, Shine, and Provide Additional Damage Restoration When Used Together With Other Arvazallia Professional Series Hair Treatment Products including the Arvazallia Premium Argan Oil Hair Treatment, Ultra Curl Defining Cream with Argan Oil Curl Cream, and the Advanced Hair Repair Moisturizing Shampoo and Daily Repair Conditioner
- Silk18 conditioner contains more than just a masterful blend of harmless conditioning ingredients to help do the job, Silk18 is formulated with a maximized portion of silk amino acids. These aren't fake chemicals: naturally derived from silk are eighteen different silk amino acids which have marvelous benefits to "behind-the-scenes" of conditioning.
- Helps with frizziness, dry hair, curly hair, static reduction, and gently conditions to result in soft, shiny, and easy-to-manage hair. Additionally, Silk18 conditioner is safe for color treated hair (sulfate free).
- Contains a holistic synergy of conditioning agents and natural ingredients to condition all hair types. Signature Silk18 formula contains eighteen different silk amino acids to deliver silky softness and assure moisture retention,, jojoba and argan oils to strengthen, protect, and provide shine, botanical keratin to replenish low keratin levels (a common cause of frizzy hair).
- No artificial fragrances, coloring, sulfates, or any harmful ingredients. 100% natural vanilla provides a delicious and warm aroma that appeals to both men and women alike. Made in the USA and cruelty-free (not tested on animals).
- Whereas shampoo cleans the hair, conditioning is essential for both feel and appearance. Maple Holistics Silk18 conditioner is the perfect shower aid and compatible with any shampoo.
- DEEP CONDITIONING: The heat systematically allows ingredients to penetrate the hair follicles more efficiently, leaving your hair snug and soft. It seals in treatments and relaxes the hair follicles for effective diffusion of nutrients. The heat along with oil and other therapeutic ingredients are activated by heat and are readily absorbed by hair.
- NON ELECTRIC: There is no need for electrical outlets or batteries! The cap is cordless and warms up by simply placing it into the microwave, and heating it up to the desired temperature. (Always warm not hot)!
- BUDGET FRIENDLY: There is no need to purchase expensive commercial brands to pamper yourself. Our heat conditioning cap is fully functional and provides the nurturing efficiency your hair deserves.
- EASY TO USE: Before applying the cap to your conditioned hair, insert the heated cap into the microwave for about 1min. Increase by a few seconds if it's not warm enough then place the heated cap onto the head for your desired time.
- ONE SIZE FITS ALL: Equipped with an elastic rim, the cap retrofits itself to all head sizes. The elastic in the cap has excellent memory so it maintains form and efficiency after continuous usage. (Reusable | Ecofriendly)
- Artnaturals Hair Care
- This item is not a tester
- Beauty and personal care product
- Keratin protein enriched
- Superior penetration
- Smoothes detangles and restores strength and elasticity
- Keratin portein enriched, deeply moisturizes
- Superior penetration, smoothes, detangles
Keep repeating this process until the hair reaches the color that you like. Be realistic, you won’t be able to lift more than one or two levels using peroxide alone. If you want to go from brunette to silver hair you will need to use bleach. But you can use peroxide to dye your hair lighter if you wait at least a week in between applications, and deep condition your hair in between.
Learning how to dye your hair with peroxide (or using 10 volume developer to lighten hair instead of bleach) is not difficult, and provided you are careful and treat your hair to some deep conditioning afterwards the results can be really natural. This works particularly good if you want highlights that look like you have been in the sun, as opposed to a dramatic color change.