Wondering how to naturally lighten hair? Yes, it is possible to lighten your hair and add some sun-kissed highlights without having to bleach it, and some of the solutions to get you the lighter tones you are after are sitting in your kitchen cupboard. Whether you are a naturally light brunette or a bottle blonde looking for a natural illuminating effect, keep reading to learn some ways to lighten hair naturally.
Who Can Naturally Lighten Their Hair?
If your hair is naturally light brown or blonde you can achieve a couple of shades lighter tones easily without dye, using natural remedies to lighten hair, or commercial products designed to imitate them. However, they all can dry hair and can react with the metallic salts in swimming pools so better avoid treating your hair before a day at the pool. And if your blonde hair comes from a bottle? You can still use the following tricks to lighten it, camouflage regrowth and make your blonde look like you just stepped out of the salon.
How To Naturally Lighten Brown Hair
Let’s be clear, natural remedies to lighten hair can only turn light hair lighter. Anybody whose hair colour (natural or otherwise) is darker than light brown shouldn’t put their hopes on natural remedies to lighten hair because they are simply not strong enough. Without first stripping hair of colour (bleaching) you can’t naturally lighten dark hair using products such as henna. Light brunettes will in the best of cases achieve caramel and honey highlights naturally, but beware of reddish undertones causing unwanted brassy results. However, if what you are after is a reddish tinge, check out the cinnamon method below.
So if you are wondering how to lighten hair naturally and without hairdressing dyes, here are some of your best options.
Lightening Hair Fast With Chamomile
Chamomile is a flower which contains apigenine, a natural flavonoid. It acts by depositing yellow pigments on the hair, creating natural golden highlights on light hair. Combined with sun exposure it also has a slight highlighting effect.
Lightening hair naturally with chamomile can’t be easier. Simply brew a pot of chamomile tea, wait until it cools off and soak your hair with it. Sit outside in the sun for about half an hour until your hair is dry, and you will see it becoming lighter. This kind of treatment can weaken hair, so wash with a good moisturiser shampoo afterwards and apply a rich hair mask. You can safely use this treatment once a week to naturally highlight your hair with golden tones.
- Restores moisture and gradually lightens for visibly lighter, more sunlit blonde hair
- Formulated with bergamot extract and chamomile to gently lighten
- Specifically created for natural, colour-treated, or highlighted blondes only
- Use every time you wash your hair, whether it's once a week or once a day
- Must be used with John Frieda Sheer Blonde Go Blonder Lightening Shampoo to achieve lightening benefits. For optimal lightening use with John Frieda Sheer Blonde Go Blonder In-Shower Treatment
- Royal Jelly helps nourish and hydrate your hair giving you visibly healthy hair
- Aloe Vera extracts help Strengthen hair and reduces hair loss due to hair breakage.
- Chamomile leaves your hair clean and the visible appearance of natural lighter hair.
- Our special formulation of botanical extracts work together to nurture your hair, removing excess oil, leaving your hair soft and manageable with the appearance of naturally lighter hair.
- Tio Nacho with 150 years of experience in all of its products, developed All Day Volume Natural Lightening Conditioner with Royal Jelly and plant extracts, which nurture and help to strengthen your hair, with cleaner tones and natural beauty.
- Bundle of 2 items: Brightening Shampoo and Brightening Conditioner
- Progressively lightens your natural blonde hair
- Chamomile + Citrus extracts
- Gradually brightens natural and colour-treated brunette hair with subtle golden tones while hydrating hair
- Marigold flower extract and honey condition dry hair and deliver brilliant shine
- Can be used on highlights or lowlights
- Use after every shampoo, whether once a day or once a week
- For best results, use with John Frieda Brilliant Brunette Visibly Brighter Subtle Lightening Shampoo
How To Lighten Hair With Lemon
Lemon juice is a slightly more aggressive way to lighten up your hair, and can leave your strands feeling pretty dry. However, it is unbeatable if you want to naturally lighten hair fast and it’s particularly effective in summer. On the bright side, lemon juice is a natural remedy for oily hair and will leave your hair smelling amazing.
In order to lighten hair naturally using lemon you will need to squeeze the juice of a fresh lemon and mix it with equal amounts of water. Apply it to your hair and get out on the sun without rinsing it. The acid in lemon will gently lighten your hair and make it incredibly glossy, but don’t do this more than once a week or your hair will weaken and dry, leaving you with split ends.
If you use lemon juice to lighten your hair make sure to avoid swimming pools at all costs, or the chemicals in the water could turn your hair green when interacting with the acid from the lemon juice.
How To Lighten Hair Naturally With Honey
Honey has peroxide (also known as bleach) which means it actually lightens the hair and not just gives blonde hair golden overtones. However, using honey to lighten your hair has added benefits: honey is good for your scalp and has antimicrobial and anti-fungal properties, which can help with dandruff and sensitive skin. Honey can also help your hair grow faster.
Since using honey on hair on its own is going to be a really sticky and uncomfortable mess, you will need to mix it with another liquid to make a soft mixture that is easier to spread. Mix honey with either olive oil (for dry hair), coconut oil (for normal hair) or apple cider vinegar (for oily hair) and gently massage it into your hair and scalp. Leave it to act for 10 minutes and rinse well. If you have used oil as a base shampoo your hair afterwards to remove all residue.
- Keeps Your Hair Moisturized And Less Prone To Breakage Helping Maintain Your Hair's Length
- Frizz Control! - Reduces Frizz By Smoothing The Hair's Cuticle, Adding Natural Shine
- National Media Recognition - Our Products Have Been Featured In Several Publications Such As Essence Magazine, Ebony, Marie Claire, Black Enterprise, Usa Today, Heart & Soul, And Sophisticate'S Black Hair
- MOISTURIZES: The Intense Mix Of Natural Ingredients Keep Dry Hair Hydrated And Moisturized Throughout The Day.
- SOFTENS: Organic Mafura Oil Blended With Baobab Oil Infuses The Hair With Long Lasting Shine and Softness.
- REMOVE FRIZZ : Essential Oils Blended With Raw Shea Butter And Anti-Oxidant Rich African Rock Fig Help Nourish The Hair And Eliminate Frizz.
- NOURISHES: Manuka Honey Is Rich In Vitamins That Revitalize Dry Hair And Protects It From The Elements.
- SMOOTHENS: Certified Organic Raw Shea Butter Blended With Manuka Honey And Oils, Work Overtime To Smoothen Hair
- Generous rinse-out treatment repairs for healthier, stronger hair
- Formula with royal jelly, honey, & propolis extracts helps repair damaged hair*
- Paraben-free, enriched with a natural blend, gentle for everyday use
- BRING YOUR NATURAL HAIR BACK TO LIFE: Our Honey Miracle Hair Mask is a miracle treatment for your hair. Made with Raw Honey to moisturize you hair, making it softer and shinier.
- REDUCE SHEDDING AND BREAKAGE: Also includes Olive and Jojoba oils which provides your hair with Vitamins A, E and D to nourish and heal. Decrease breakage and help maintain your hair's length.
- FRIZZ CONTROL: Reduces frizz by smoothing the hair's cuticle, adding natural shine and softness.
- NATIONAL MEDIA RECOGNITION: Our products have been featured in several publications such as Essence, Ebony, Marie Claire, Black Enterprise, USA Today, Heart and Soul, and Sophisticate's Black Hair.
- CONDITION YOUR HAIR DEEPLY: Olive oil deeply moisturizes by penetrating the hair shaft while the jojoba oil seals to lock the moisture in the hair. Also reduces flakiness and dry itchy scalp.
- The royal jelly HONEY infused hair mask helps repair hair and deeply conditions and restores softness and shine, giving the hair long lasting protection.
- Keeping hair from drying out, leaving it extraordinarily healthy and easier to manage.
- A revolutionary treatment that professionals are using to re-texturize and condition damaged & processed dry hair
- Instant results, hair is left hydrated, smooth and shiny.
- Natural ingredients; Premium Quality; No Harmful Chemical; No Parabens; No Common Allergens; Hypo-Allergic; Made in Canada
How To Lighten Dark Hair With Cinnamon
You can’t lighten dark hair to blonde using exclusively natural products. However, you can add beautiful lighter red tones to a dark or brunette base using cinnamon. It has a very gentle effect, but the more you use it the lighter your hair will become and you can reach sunkissed “beach babe” highlights after a few weeks, depending on how dark your hair was to start with.
- Certified by the USDA Organic, Naturevibe Ceylon Cinnamon Powder is a powerful spice that has been used medicinally around the world for thousands of years.
- The fine, brown powder possesses a sweet, delicate flavour with a unique smell and is used in a plethora of recipes.
- Cinnamomum verum, or Ceylon cinnamon, is considered "true" cinnamon compared to other species in the same genus. It is a spice made from the ground inner bark of a tree native to Sri Lanka, which once was known as Ceylon.
- According to researchers, out of twenty-six of the most popular herbs and medicinal spices in the world, cinnamon actually ranks #1 in terms of its protective antioxidant levels!
- The flavour of cinnamon is due to an aromatic essential oil that makes up 0.5 to 1% of its composition. This essential oil is prepared by roughly pounding the bark, softening it in sea water, and then quickly distilling the whole.
- Grade A Korintje Cinnamon - higher oil content than other grades for superior flavor.
- Latin/Botanical Name: Cinnamomum burmanii - also known as Indonesian Cinnamon
- Korintje Cinnamon has the cinnamon flavor most are familiar with (versus other, less common, types of cinnamon).
- USDA Certified Organic by QAI & Kosher Certified by KCS
- Origin: Indonesia Packaged and Quality Tested in the USA.
- Cinnamon's sweet, deep warmth works perfectly in sweet and savory dishes
- Premium quality for pure, superior flavor
- Fresh flavor guarantee that delivers bold taste every time
- Warms up cookies or cakes, as well as French toast or oatmeal
- Sprinkle over sweet potatoes or add to pork rubs
- Our Healthworks Organic Ceylon Cinnamon Powder has a warm aroma and will bring a spicy sweetness to all kinds of delicious drinks and dishes!
- It's excellent flavor goes perfect with cookies, cakes, coffee, oatmeal, and breads as well as curries, sauces, vegetable dishes, mulling wines, mulling apple cider and punches
- Our Cinnamon is from the Ceylon variety (also known as "True Cinnamon" or "Real Cinnamon") which is harvested from the mature trunk of a cinnamon tree by stripping off the bark and rolling it inside of the other. After being dried at low temperatures, it is carefully milled into fine powder to retain the high nutritional value and allows for maximum digestion and absorption when consumed
- Right from the source: Our Organic Cinnamon Powder is hand selected from small sustainable farmers to provide a truly exquisite powder to your front door
- Our Healthworks Customer Satisfaction Promise: We love our Organic Cinnamon Powder and stand behind it; Receive a full refund or replacement within 30 days if you are not completely satisfied
- VERY FRESHLY GROUND - We run a small boutique spice shop and freshly grind our Ceylon Cinnamon Powder several times a week for you. The big companies with factories, warehouses, and distribution networks simply can't match the flavor and zest of Burma Spice Ground Ceylon Cinnamon.
- BEAUTIFUL BOTTLE LOCKS IN FLAVOR - Our packaging is also a big part of what keeps our Ceylon Cinnamon tasting delicious long after you buy it. The swing-top bottle with clamp and gasket seal keeps flavor-robbing oxygen out of the cinnamon. It also looks great on your table!
- HIGHEST GRADE GENUINE CEYLON - We specialize in only the best spices available on earth. Compare our ratings and reviews and you'll see our customers agree.
- 100% PURE - We never add anything to Ceylon Cinnamon Powder. We grind the best quality Cinnamon Verum bark, also known as True Cinnamon. Burma Spice Ceylon cinnamon is KOSHER CERTIFIED. It's simply the best True Cinnamon Powder available.
- KOSHER CERTIFIED by ORB
Mix 2 tablespoons of cinnamon, 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 2 tablespoons of honey with half a cup of water to make a paste. Spread all over your head (for full head colour) or using foils (for highlights). This mixture works better if you leave it to act for several hours, particularly if you have dark hair. So the best way to go about it is to wrap your hair using saran wrap and going to sleep, and washing it off the next morning. But you can also just do it on a day you don’t intend to go outside.
Most of these methods can also be used to enhance your colour, keep your blonde looking great between salon appointments and condition your hair.
As you can see, there are many effective methods you can use if you are wondering how to naturally lighten hair without dyes, but they are best suited for those with naturally light hair without red undertones, and those looking for a gradual and natural looking lightening effect.