As we approach autumn darker and warmer hair colors come to our inspiration boards. One of them is a certain red brown hair color, neither warm nor cold. You’ll have seen it referred to as mahogany color or plum hair color. Mahogany hair color is actually both!
What Color Is Mahogany?
The name mahogany color comes from a certain type of wood that has a reddish brown hue. It is an expensive wood and the mahogany color looks as luxurious in hair as it does in furniture.
When talking about mahogany color in hair terms, we are talking about a red brown hair color. But unlike other reddish brown hair colors such as Auburn, mahogany has both warm and cool undertones so it suits a variety of skin colors and undertones.
Rich Mahogany Color Hair
Mahogany Red Hair Dye Color Codes
Most dye manufacturers will label mahogany colors as .5 when using hair dye color codes. According to the ICC tone standards mahogany hair color is:
.5 – Mahogany (Violet Red pigment, Neutral)
It’s an intense color, usually on levels 6 to 3 because it’s after all a reddish brown hair color. It can have warm red or cool violet reflections/tones, which you can usually identify by the second number after the .5 making it a very versatile color for brunettes. Lighter mahogany hair colors edge towards plum due to the violet and red pigments.
- Super Rich Care
- Super Rich Color
- 100 Percent Long-Lasting Gray Coverage
- Our Gold Standard Since 1973
- Fade-Defying Color plus Shine System
- Available In Over 50 Luminous Shades
- Ammonia Free hair color, with a gentle and pleasant fragrance
- Red Hair Dye that delivers brilliant, radiant long-lasting color
- Hair dye that leaves hair visibly healthier Hair is hydrated, silky and 3x shinier (than uncolored, unwashed...
- INTENSE COLOR: The breakthrough formula of Color Ultime hair colorations provide vivid color intensity and...
- FADE RESISTANT: The advanced, premium formula of Color Ultime hair colorations defies fading for lasting...
- SHINE LIKE A DIAMOND: Color Ultime hair colorations provide lasting, incredible shine that is sure to stop the...
- The Henna Guys 100% Natural, Cruelty FREE, 100% Vegan
- Pesticides FREE, Zero Chemicals, Zero Metallic Salts
- 1 Pack = 100 grams = 3.53 Oz Net Weight of the Product
If you are looking at mahogany red hair inspiration, you will also see it often referred as chocolate. It is a very popular color for subtle brown hair with red highlights effects.
Who Suits Mahogany Red Color?
Mahogany red suits both cool and warm undertones, but it can drain somebody who is low contrast and has a pale complexion. This is because after all we are talking of a reddish brown which is overall pretty dark. However, it’s a great color to combine with highlights or balayage to lighten it around the face.
If you are dying your hair yourself choose a mahogany red that edges cool or warm depending on your own undertones. If you are using box dye remember to buy a shade lighter than your actual target color, as they tend to run much darker than expected.
Mahogany Hair Maintenance
Mahogany red hair is usually lower maintenance than red or blonde, and perfect for a busy lifestyle. You should always use a shampoo for color treated hair as the red pigments will wash away quick otherwise. But it tends to stay well and switch between a plum hair color and a reddish brown mahogany hair depending on the light and how long ago you dyed it.
- Refreshes and cleanses hair, removing build up to optimize colour vibrancy
- Smoothes and adds shine to your hair, bringing it alive
- Hair is more resistant to breaking during brushing which means fewer broken ends which can make colour look...
- Argan Oil Shampoo & Conditioner Duo doubles up on the products' restorative, nourishing properties.
- Argan oil plus botanical extracts and oils enhance shine and health of hair and scalp.
- Shampoo cleans gently but effectively, without stripping color.
- Love Beauty and Planet Murumuru Butter and Rose Blooming Color Shampoo gently cleanses while the Conditioner...
- Our Blooming Color Shampoo and Conditioner are infused with Organic Coconut Oil for hair.
- Infused with Murumuru Butter, this shampoo and conditioner for color treated hair keeps color vibrant and is...
- Gently cleanse and replenish moisture without stripping hair color
- Improve manageability, readily detangles and adds vibrance and shine
- Help to strengthen chemically challenged hair
- Redken Color Extend Magnetics Shampoo and Condition Duo
Mahogany Color Inspiration
There are a variety of hair colors that could be considered mahogany red. Check the following for inspiration!
Mulled Wine Hair Color
Burgundy Hair Color
Darker Mahogany Color With Highlights
Now that you know what color is mahogany, are you thinking of dying your hair this wonderful reddish brown hair color for the cooler months?