Blonde hair turning yellow, and a most unflattering shade of yellow at that, is a very common problem. You leave your hairdresser with beautiful, expensive looking champagne blonde highlights… a few weeks or even days later they look yellow and brassy and cheap. But what is causing brassy and yellow hair?
There are two main reasons why blonde hair turns yellow. The first one is that the toner used to achieve ashy, sandy and champagne hues washes out. This leads to yellow pigments in the hair being visible again, and if you have darker hair, brassy tones.
The second reason is that blond hair tends to be more porous. Over time, it absorbs things like minerals in water and products. This leads to discoloration. For example, blonde hair turning green happens because of chlorine in swimming pools.
If you want to avoid brassy hair, keep in mind the following causes for yellow hair in blondes.
Hard Water: Use A Shower Filter
Tap water often has high amounts of minerals and metals that can turn blonde hair yellow. Hard water is the worst for keeping your blonde hair luminous and bright. But this has an easy solution.
There are entire filtering systems that attach to the water supply in your home to purify all of your tap water. But they are very expensive. Instead, you can buy a shower filter from Amazon that attaches to your shower. They are a cost effective way to improve the quality of your shower water, and keep your color looking great for longer.
- PURIFIES YOUR WATER - Removes Chlorine, heavy metals (lead, mercury, nickel, chromium), bacteria, pesticides,...
- REVITALIZES YOUR BODY - Reduces dry itchy skin, dandruff, eczema, and dramatically improves the condition of...
- MULTI-STAGE FILTRATION - Unique blend of KDF 55, calcium sulfite and activated carbon, ensure maximum...
- DAY 1 - IMMEDIATELY BEGINS REJUVENATING SKIN, HAIR & NAILS: HARD, chlorinated, chemical ridden water causing...
- ACTUALLY WORKS - EXPERIENCE THE CLEANEST CLEAN: MOST filters for showers eliminate some chemicals for a short...
- JUST .10 CENTS/DAY: WHAT is your HEALTH worth? What about LOOKING YOUR BEST? If you're a savvy shopper, you've...
- Wall-Mounted filtered shower head, meets EPA Water Sense certification standard of maximum 2.0 gallons per...
- Shower head has anti clog rubber spray nozzles that offer 5 spray settings for added comfort
- Shower head and filter are easy-to-install, no tools required
- HEALTHIER SHOWER: Our top-rated showerhead is composed of premium METAL and internal filter cartridge with...
- WATER PURIFIER: Removes chlorine, fluoride, chloramine, heavy metals, bacteria, pesticides, ammonia smell,...
- REVITALIZING YOUR BODY: Reduces dry, itchy skin, dandruff, and eczema. Cares about the skin, hair, and nails....
- PREMIUM 12-STAGE WATER FILTER: By using our shower head filter, this filtration system will restores the PH...
- ARE YOU STRUGGLING WITH SKIN, HAIR & NAIL CONDITIONS? Restores what you're hard, chemical filled water did to...
- POWERFUL WATER PRESSURE: Our high-performance inline water filter won't reduce existing water pressure and...
Swimming Pools Chlorine: Soak Your Hair First
The chlorine in swimming pools, or even the salt in the ocean, can totally change the color of your hair. If you want to avoid your blonde hair turning yellow, or even worse, green, it pays to be prepared.
Lightened blonde hair is porous, which means it will absorb water from the pool and suffer from discoloration. So before you jump in, soak your hair in fresh water so it doesn’t absorb too much water. And once you are out of the pool, rinse your hair as quick as possible. Chlorine can play havoc with the toner in your hair and send your expensive dye job on its way in just one day at the pool.
- Philip Kingsley Swimcap (Protects From Chlorine and Salt Water, Defends Hair From UV Rays) 75ml/2.5oz
- Philip Kingsley Swimcap 75ml - Pack of 2
- Quantity: 2
For extra insurance, products such as swimcap by Philip Kingsley do an even better job of protecting your blonde hair from sun and water damage. Even applying a bit of conditioner after soaking your hair with fresh water will protect your hair color.
Shampoo: Wash Less, Wash Better
Washing your hair strips color pigments. This is great if you are fixing a dye job gone bad, and terrible if you just paid for blonde hair. If you want your hair color to last, it pays to wash your hair less and with the right shampoo.
If you have dyed your hair silver or platinum blonde, your hair should also be much less greasy. This means you can make your blowouts last longer, and keep the color of your hair in shape, by using dry shampoo.
However, if you hate the idea of not washing your hair, consider co-washing with a sulphate free product. Or invest in a color depositing shampoo to neutralise the yellow. At the very least, a sulphate free shampoo for dyed hair will help your blonde last longer.
- Argan Oil Shampoo & Conditioner Duo doubles up on the products' restorative, nourishing properties.
- Argan oil plus botanical extracts and oils enhance shine and health of hair and scalp.
- Shampoo cleans gently but effectively, without stripping color.
- THE HIGHEST STANDARDS OF EXCELLENCE: Argan Shampoo is sulfate free and suitable for all hair types. It is a...
- WHY ARGAN HAIR SHAMPOO AND CONDITIONER: With its high content of antioxidant, essential fatty acids and...
- THE HIGHEST STANDARDS OF EXCELLENCE: A new standard in moisturizing and volumizing, Argan Oil Shampoo and...
- ARGAN OIL - contains Moroccan Argan Oil for Volumizing and Moisturizing the scalp. Gentle on Curly and Color...
- PRECIOUS BLEND - Moroccan Argan Oil, Jojoba Oil, Camellia Seed Oil, Avocado Oil, Keratin, Almond Oil, and...
- SILKY PERFECTION - with Natural Vitamin E, Sealing in Shine, Creating Lush Softness. Soft, Seductive, Silky...
- Argan shampoo introduces the ultimate haircare formula that provides maximum benefits with six of the most...
- Argan keratin hair treatment with Vitamin A B1 B2 D & E, increases the strength of hair while eliminating...
- Argan oil most with no artificial colors or additives is made in a facility that exceeds cGMP levels. The best...
- DUO SET Shampoo and Conditioner 8.5 Ounce, 1 Each
- Sulfate-free, hydrating protective for color treated hair infused with refreshing rosemary and juniper
- Formulated with natural botanicals
Purple Shampoo: Use It Right
So, I just recommended purple shampoo above to keep your blonde hair from going yellow. And now I am warning you about it? The truth is, overusing purple or blue color depositing shampoo can be as bad as using tap water. Too much violet pigment and your hair can go from champagne to dull and grey looking.
Using purple shampoo or conditioner (or a purple conditioning mask) once a week is often enough to keep brassy hair away. When your color is fresh, you will need less time and less product. As the toners on your hair fade, leaving the mask or conditioner longer will help cancel unwanted yellow tones.
- Ideal, for grey, super lightened, or decolored hair
- Violet pigment tones down unwanted yellow hues on grey, light blonde, or streaked hair
- SalonGuys is the only authorized online retailer for Fanola No Yellow Shampoos online.
- Color-enhancing shampoo brightens and refreshes blonde, highlighted and silver hair
- Renews and refreshes faded highlights and ash-toned hair
- Removes the dull yellow in silver hair, and leaves hair shiny without residue
- Helps gently cleanse blondes while refreshing and conditioning hair
- Contains purple toning pigment to neutralize brassy tones in blondes and enhance cool tones
- Blended with Polyquaternium 10 to prevent and control frizz, static and flyaway
- Joico color balance purple shampoo 10.1 fl. oz. + purple conditioner 10.1 oz. duo
- The shampoo and conditioner preserves 89 percent of your precious hair-color
- Preserves 89 percent of hair color for up to eight full weeks
- Color Balance Purple Shampoo
- For blonde/gray hair
- Formulated to Protect and Enhance Your Color
If you are a brunette with blonde highlights, choose a blue shampoo or conditioner instead of purple. Blue cancel orange and brassy hair much better than purple. Purple shampoo cancels yellow, so it works great for cool toned and neutral blondes.
Lightening Products: Keep Your Hair Healthy
One of the most common problems with committed blondes is that, over time, their hair color seems to go yellow quicker. This is particularly true if you use at-home dyes, bleach your hair yourself or go more than two levels higher than your natural home color.
Yellow hair in this case happens because hair is not healthy enough to take another lighting session. Hair is extra porous and dye washes off quicker and quicker as it has nothing to hold to. You may also notice that your hair color catches much quicker on the tips of your hair than the roots.
Another possible cause of yellow hair is at-home lightening shampoos and conditioners. While they can be used safely to lighten natural blonde hair, they play havoc with hair dye and toner. Once the toner washes out, you are left with brassy blonde hair. Not ideal!
To avoid this, it’s better to accept that blonde hair means high maintenance and invest in hair care. Always use conditioners and hair masks that repair hair and help seal the cuticle to ensure your blonde color last for longer.
- ENJOY by Enjoy HAIR MASK 8.5 OZ
- AMINO ACID FORMULA: An amino acid reconstructing booster to be used with ENJOY Instant Reconstructor or ENJOY...
- MOISTURIZING: Intensive Reconstructing Spray amino acid system delivers intense moisturization and includes...
- COLOR SAFE: Color safe formula for all hair types; for color treated hair; the anti-fade system for...
- Reconstructive cream with concentrated formula
- Rich in green keratin
- Reconstructs hair for strength, shine, and softness
- FRIZZ CONTROL: Hair mask recommended for all hair types; gives the hair extra moisture, detangling, and...
- MOISTURIZING: Leave-in hair conditioner delivers intense moisturization and includes calming anti-frizz...
- COLOR SAFE: Color safe formula for all hair types; for color treated hair; the anti-fade system for...
- Contains Keratin and Hyaloveil to actively interact with hair's structure
- Penetrates deep into hair to nourish and reconstruct from the inside
- Provides long-lasting moisture and protection from recurring dryness
If you bleach your hair at home, avoid overlapping bleach on already lightened areas. Alwasys apply dye to the roots first, and wash it down to the tips after the required time. This is because roots (being virgin hair) will not only process quicker, but absorb dye differently than your more porous tips.
Brassy Hair Still There? Gloss Monthly
If your hair has brassy or yellow tones after avoiding all of the above, a gloss is the way to go. A glossing treatment once a month will seal the cuticle and refresh the color, without actually dying your hair. If your color looks off the right gloss can be used to cancel unwanted yellow or orange undertones without damaging hair.
Regular glossing will close the cuticle and prevent hair color from bleeding out, keeping your color blonde for longer. If you only want the extra shine, choose a clear gloss to add shine without modifying your original color. And choose an at-home glossing treatment if you don’t have the time or budget to go to the hairdresser.
- Instantly Boosts Colour for a salon-fresh look in between colouring.
- For Cool Blondes. Neutralizes brassiness to brighten blonde in just 3 minutes.
- An in-shower non-damaging weekly color extending treatment that adds back lost color pigments.
- Inspired by the salon treatment, infuses hair with intense glossy shine and silky texture
- Shine enhancers polish the hair strand and create immediately visible shine while pore menders fill in damaged...
- Safe for all shades of natural and colour-treated hair
- COLOR GLOSSER
- COLOR AND SHINE BOOSTER IN 3 MINUTES
- Set of 2 bottles.
- Discontinued by mfg
- shower. Now, just shampoo, condition?then glaze! Gentle, non-damaging formula infuses blonde hair with a hint...
As you can see, there are many things you may be doing accidentally that turn your blond hair yellow or brassy. Keeping them in mind is key to make your blonde hair look healthy and expensive for longer. They are small changes to your routine that will save you money as you will need to visit your hairdresser less often for maintenance.
What other tips do you have to avoid brassy hair as a blonde or brunette?