Sodium chloride, or table salt, is a common thickening agents used on many shampoos. It is generally safe, and cheap, and that is why it’s such a popular ingredient in drugstore shampoos. However, sodium chloride can seriously mess with aftercare of keratin treatments. You must use a sodium chloride free shampoo instead to make your keratin treatment last for longer.
Salt, alongside with sulphates, are big no-nos for keratin treated hair. This is because they basically strip the keratin that you paid a lot of money to get on your hair. You can’t trust claims on a website that a shampoo is keratin safe, you must look at the ingredients. Otherwise you will notice:
- The keratin is peeling off, much quicker than usual
- Your scalp may become dry and itchy
- Your hair texture changes, as the keratin is removed in patches
- You may notice deposit on your hair, flakes or just lack of shine.
All of this basically means your keratin treatment or brazilian blow-dry is ruined and you need to get it done again. So, don’t ignore the labels.
We have selected the best sodium chloride free shampoos that are safe for keratin treated hair. We also looked for sulfates. Sulfates are variations of Sodium Lauryl Sulfate which is a surfactant that will strip keratin and color from your hair. If a shampoo lathers a lot, it is generally not safe for keratin treatment after-care, because that is what SLS is for.
The most popular shampoos to avoid after your keratin treatment are cheap drugstore brands. This is because both sodium chloride and sulfates are cheap ingredients that make a shampoo lather nicely and feel thicker. So they are used abundantly in budget haircare.
Top Picks For Sodium Chloride Free Shampoo
Here is our top sodium chloride free shampoo that is keratin safe. They will make your keratin treatment last longer and fade evenly. And they will keep your scalp happy instead of dry and full of dandruff. Anti-dandruff shampoos strip keratin and hair dye so prevention is much better than the cure in this case.
Sodium Chloride Free Shampoo For Bleached Hair
- A Professional Sulfate Free Hair Repair Shampoo, Conditioner, & Deep Conditioner Hair Mask System For Dry or...
- Repairs, Restores, and Strengthens Heat or Chemically Damaged Hair and Mends Split Ends
- Deep Conditions, Moisturizes, and Instantly Improves Texture, Elasticity, and Manageability of Hair....
If you had a keratin treatment to try and nursed your bleached hair back to health, this shampoo, conditioner and mask set is a must. Perfect for very dry, damaged hair that needs a lot of love. It also works great on naturally coarse and curly hair, reducing frizz. A must have if you are trying to give up relaxing but don’t want your new growth to be dry.
It is a very rich hair mask and a pretty rich conditioner, so if your hair is not dry or damaged this may be overkill. But if you bleach your hair to platinum or silver, chances are this will be your holy grail sodium chloride free shampoo.
Sodium Chloride Free Shampoo For Hair Extensions
- SAFE FOR COLORED AND KERATIN TREATED HAIR, WON'T STRIP! -Preserve your treatment and protect your investment....
- [8oz Set] EXPERIENCE SOFT, SHINY, SMOOTH HAIR WITHOUT THE FRIZZ. MADE IN THE USA! -Why price shop? Sure there...
- PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE BUYING...WHAT OTHER BRANDS KEEP SECRET--> Some say parabens are safe. Studies now show...
Sodium chloride and sulfates can play havoc with the glue that bonds hair extensions to hair. This shampoo and conditioner set is 100% sulphate and sodium chloride free and is safe for use on keratin treated hair and hair extensions. The moroccan argan oil hydrates hair and keeps frizz at bay but it won’t weight down fine hair. If you want to fix greasy hair without stripping the keratin this shampoo will help balance your scalp natural oil production. It is also safe to use on colored hair, as it has UV filters that help prevent fade.
Since it doesn’t have your usual sulphates, don’t expect a lot of lather so don’t be tempted to just use more shampoo. Just make sure to massage it well into your hair so it can wash without stripping. It has a lovely fruity orange smell that goes away soon after rinsing.
Sodium Chloride Free Shampoo For Daily Use
- Scruples White Tea Sulfate-free Restorative Shampoo 32oz
- Scruples White Tea Restorative Conditioner 32oz
- Scruples White Tea Leave-in Miracle Foam 5.1oz
If you like washing your hair often you may have noticed that your kerating treatments fades quicker than it should. This is because even a gentle SLS and SC free shampoo strips some keratin and hair color from your hair if used too often. Except for this one. It is also a great shampoo for dry scalp or hair.
This shampoo and conditioner are light enough and gentle enough to be used daily, and the leave in foam protects hair from heat damage. It can also be used before bleaching to help protect your hair.
Best Budget Chloride Free Shampoo
- This bundle includes two Acure Organics Coconut Hair Straightening All Natural 8 fl. oz. Shampoos, naturally...
- This sulfate free straightening shampoo is the ideal hair straightening product for men and women
- Perfect for frizzed, fried, frustrated, blown out, straightened, color treated, grumpy and generally worked...
We love the quality you get for the money on this sulphate free and chloride free shampoo. Marula oil and coconut water makes it great for hydration and to smooth down frizz. The ingredients are great for overstyled, straightened or color treated hair that feels dry and damaged.
And to prove that price is not everything, this shampoo and conditioner is also free from animal testing and full of organic ingredients. 100% sulphate free.
Did you know there are a lot of ways Sodium Lauryl Sulfate is hidden in hair products? If you see any of this on an ingredients list, choose another shampoo for keratin treated hair.
- Diethanolime (DEA)
- Triethanolamine (TEA)
- Monoethanolamine (MEA)
- Sodium Laureth Sulfate
- Disodium Laureth Sulfosucinate
- Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate
If you want your keratin treatment to last as much as possible, a sodium chloride free shampoo is a must. Sadly, not all shampoos marketed as keratin-friendly are actually safe for keratin treated hair. Always read the label to keep your hair looking its best!
What is your favourite sodium chloride free shampoo? And what other tricks do you use to extend your brazilian blow-dry or keratin treatment? Tell us on the comments!